Saturday, December 24, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,




When I think about working with children and families who comes from a diverse background, I think of the recognition of their unique strengths and needs.  As an educator, I should be able to provide to the children and families by doing the following:

  • Develop cultural self-awareness and become aware of cultural biases. Professionals can examine their family history, religious background, and socio-economic status through culture questionnaires and determine how these may impact judgments about, for example, disciplining techniques,
  • Develop an understanding of the family’s culture (e.g., have the family or student draw a family tree; discuss family adherence to specific culture traits, such as perceptions of disabilities), read about the family’s culture, and gather information through cultural informants.
My goal as an early childhood professional related to the issues of diversity, equity, and social justice are to building partnerships with students and families

I would like to thank my colleagues and instructor for a wonderful class. Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment