Sunday, February 5, 2012

Nonviolent Communication and Conflict Management


Conflict with a Co-worker......

I once had an agreement with a co-worker.  There was a debate over who should be nominated for employee of the year.  My co-worker asked who I was nominating and when I revealed my answer, she became upset.  My co-worker was telling me negative things about the person that I selected that was not related to the job performance.  She was basing it upon the person personal life. I carefully listened to my co-worker and then proceeded to tell her that I respect her opinion but I also wanted her to respect my opinion.  I explain that we as human will have some disagreement but it’s all about respecting one another.  My co-worker did not agree with me and the debate cause us to lose our friendship. 

I am always willing to listen to other people’s opinion and I wish other people would treat me the same. 


2 comments:

  1. Tamakio, it is unforunate that a disagreement over a nomination would cause strife between the two of you. It would be nice if everyone we interact with was able to demonstrate consideration for another persons opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is unfortunate that the disagreement ended your friendship. The nomination was your opinion and your choice. It is her right to disagree not criticize.

    ReplyDelete